Institutional Review Board
Welcome to the San Diego Community College District IRB webpage. The IRB review procedures are designed to assist external investigators (i.e., doctoral and master's degree students and research agencies) with submitting requests for research and information involving San Diego Community College District students and employees. These procedures are consistent with existing Board Policy 0400, Research Involving District Students, Board Policy 3001, Student Records and Administrative Policy 3001.1, Student Records; Release, Correction and Challenge. The procedures and the stated policies also support compliance with FERPA and HIPPA regulations and Title 45 Code of Federal Regulations Part 46 (Protection of Human Subjects) from the federal Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of Health Office for Protection from Research Risks.
The following provides an overview of the SDCCD procedures and guidelines for Human Subjects research.
1. All research involving or pertaining to students or employees conducted by individuals or groups outside of the San Diego Community College District (SDCCD) is subject to SDCCD IRB review regardless of status (exempt or expedited) or approval by an Institutional Review Board from another institution or agency. No proposals will be reviewed prior to IRB approval from the investigator's institution or agency. At this time, the SDCCD IRB is only accepting proposals from current SDCCD employees.
2. SDCCD employees who are seeking to conduct research and/or use existing data and information for publication or public presentation purposes (e.g., doctoral dissertations or master's degree thesis) are considered external investigators and must go through the SDCCD IRB review process in order to gain approval prior to conduct research. SDCCD employees should not access data or information for their research even though the access may be available through the employee's work responsibility.
3. All external investigators must submit the following:
4. Proposals and accompanying materials should be submitted electronically to: Anda McComb
IRB Submission Deadline and Review Dates
Note:The IRB does not meet during the summer months
5. The following fee schedule will be charged to all external investigators in order to off-set the cost of sending notification emails to students or employees at SDCCD.
*For email lists over 35,000 please contact Shakerra Carter for pricing.